Friday, March 20, 2009

Random Friday

We had a chili cook-off in foods class. My group decided to cater to the extremely picky habits of one member, and made chili with no vegetables, beans or tomato anything. It was sort of an exercise in chili deconstruction. Really, what makes chili chili?
We didn't win but we got full points for originality. It had chicken, ham, pineapple and mango. Not much else, but when topped with some cilantro, onion, lime and Tabasco it kind of had a kick.
It was interesting how neither of the other two group members made any attempt to confront the picky guy. He spends much of class trying to get a rise out of me by telling me sort of shocking stories. (Suffice to say I won't be in a hurry to eat where he works as a cook.)

We also had a math test today and I actually lost my temper with a kid because he forgot one step in a problem we have done one thousand times. It was a (x+2)^2 (squared) problem where the answer ought to have 3 parts, but many kids just square the two terms and leave out the middle. I don't know why I reacted so strongly. I slammed the table and said "NO!" He was startled, I apologized, he let it go (which is not how this would have ended six months ago, I'm sure.) We went on. Kind of bugged me all day I guess. I don't like losing it, really sets that bad example.

No comments:

Post a Comment