Sunday, March 1, 2009

This is the news story that is spending the weekend inside my brain. I posted the link but since it probably won't work after a couple of weeks I'll try to summarize it.

http://www.startribune.com/local/south/40399472.html?page=1&c=y

Basically a 20 year old man with Asperger's created a phony Craigslist ad for a babysitter to lure a young woman to a home where he shot her in the back, killing her. He hid the body but was discovered. Now his attorneys want to present evidence of his disability to explain his lack of remorse and unusual comments to the police at the time he was arrested.

I shared the story with a few of the kids I work with, along with other staff members. We were all horrified by this idea. I can understand why attorneys try stuff like this, after all it is their job to find any sort of mitigating circumstance and attempt to present it. But the result is people who already thoughtlessly discriminate against others they perceive as "different" will have more reason to do so. People who are already socially isolated become more so. Just all around not good.

No comments:

Post a Comment